Dependants' Grants

What are Dependants’ Grants?

If you’re studying full-time and have children or an adult who depends on you financially, you might be able to get some extra help.

Dependants’ Grants are paid on top of your other student finance and don’t usually have to be paid back unless you leave your course early.

The amount you can get depends on your household income, which is the income of you, your partner and any dependants.

There are 3 types of Dependants’ Grants that you could get.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance helps with course-related costs if you’ve got dependent children.

You can get up to £1,863 a year depending on your household income.

Childcare Grant

Childcare Grant helps towards the cost of childcare while studying. You could get help for up to 85% of your weekly childcare costs, up to a maximum of £183.75 per week for one child, or £315.03 per week if you have more than one child.

If either you or your partner get the childcare element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, or Tax-Free Childcare from HM Revenue and Customs, you won’t be able to get Childcare Grant as well, but you can choose to get it instead.

Adult Dependants’ Grant

If you’re financially responsible for your partner or another adult, you could apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant.

You can get up to £3,263 a year depending on your household income.

You can’t apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant for an adult who is a student, or a grown-up child who is dependent on you.

How to apply for Dependants’ Grants

You can apply for the Dependants’ Grants when you apply for student finance.

Already submitted your application?

You can apply for the Dependants’ Grants using the paper form. Download the form from the student finance form finder.

Use your online account to upload the form or send it by post.

Student Finance England
PO Box 210

Visit our dedicated page: